Pave Racer

Big Swede...
Backstedt at the Tour of Flanders...



The classic season is soon upon us. For me, anticipation means patiently waiting until March 19th with the big monumental kick-off to Milan SanRemo. Then, the pave pounding will begin with Ghent-Wevelgem on March 27th.



Entering into history as 
the first Swede to win it...




I couldn't even guess who would win them. Maybe it's too early. But, I know the riders that I'd love to see win. There's quite a few of them. The Flemish stones are my classic love. I call it the 'magic time' from March to April, is my favorite part of the season with the hell of the north to cap it all off.

Magnus Backstedt is one of my all-time favorite riders' over the pave. His 2004 season was amazing as the big Swede won Paris-Roubaix and finished second in Ghent-Wevelgem. Magnus Maximus was perfectly suited for the cobbles along with the powerful punch needed to last and win.

Magnus Backstedt said this about his amazing pave victory...

"The showers at Roubaix are a very, very special place. There is so much tradition behind them, and when you get there you know that you've made it and that you've finished the race, so you're pretty content about it all. So what was I thinking in 2004?  I was just over the moon that I'd won the race. The first couple of hours after the race were a big blur, but finally reaching the showers is all part of the history. After 100 odd races, they've run out of space in the cubicles for the winners' name plates, so my name is set in the stones under the kilometre-to-go-sign. That's why I love Paris-Roubaix - there's so much history behind it."

His Paris-Roubaix 2004 win was his crowning achievement ...set to stone.




Galstudio's classic Pave Racer Cycling Cap...


Pavé meditation...





Comments