I won, but I didn't know I had won

Great victory for Yates, sad ending for GVA.





It took the final climb of the day and Greg Van Avermaet's crash from a moto that gave Adam Yates what he needed to ride away to win Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian. The live feed was interrupted  only to resume for the final finish when Yates was as surprised, as I was, to win. I never picked him and predicted Gilbert to win (he finished 2nd). 



'Incredible. I won, but I didn't know I had won. I spoke on the radio to my sport director but because of the crowds the radio was too quiet. On the final climb there was a breakaway still up the road. Then there was a lot of carnage on the climb, there was a crash with a motorbike, and so I just went full gas. At the time I didn't know if I had reached the lead or not.'

- Adam Yates









Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian. 1. Adam Yates 5:30:22, 2. Philippe Gilbert 0:15, 3. Alejandro Valverde st.


Comments