Mourning Michele Scarponi





This morning I had coffee and as I always do open the cycling news website to catch up. I was shocked with the terrible news of the death of Michele Scarponi struck by a van while training. He just returned home overnight from the Tour of the Alps, where he won the opening stage and finished fourth overall.  Scarponi was to lead Astana at the Giro. I remember him as a tireless worker and more so, for his fun video clips with his feathered friend, Frankje the macaw. I'll miss his exploits on and off the bike. My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.



"Our athlete Michele Scarponi died this morning while he was training on his bike close to his home in Filottrano. We left a great champion and a special guy, always smiling in every situation. He was a real milestone and a landmark for everyone in the Astana Pro Team."
- Astana Proteam




Comments